Articles on basic care and considerations for new or prospective owners.
Articles pertaining to health, nutrition, and veterinary care.
Articles and pictures about hedgehog breeding, growth, and development.
Articles for people who already own a hedgehog or want to know more than just the basics.
Learn more about hedgehog shows and hedgehog colors!
Wondering where on earth to buy a hedgehog? Start here!
Where to purchase hedgehog supplies and collectibles.
Meet the hedgehogs of Hedgehog Valley!
Meet the other critters that call Hedgehog Valley
Five Toys for HedgehogsMany people are very surprised to find out that hedgehogs are curious creatures who often enjoy toys! Here are five suggestions that our herd give their paws of approval:
1. Toilet paper tubes:Hedgies like to wear them on their head and play “tank.” Some hedgies love them so much that they even learn to eat and to drink from a water bottle with the tube on their head! Caution should be noted, however. Smaller hedgies can get stuck in the tubes, and they can break forequills or develop a flattened area of forequills (kind of like humans with “hat head”).
2. Boxes:I was surprised to find that mine really like boxes that are short and wide. Cereal boxes, or boxes for things like rice-a-roni are big hits! Kleenex boxes are a favorite, too. Be sure to remove any plastic packaging.
3. Plastic Easter eggs:We put the hedgie’s favorite treat inside. They can actually get them open to get the treat! Amazing!
4. Plastic dump trucks:Hedgies like to push these and climb on them. They can learn to dump the bed to get to the treats!
5. Cat balls with bells inside:Many hedgies like to push these around. I had one grumpy rescue who, for the longest time, would never let me see him out of a ball. But, I could always hear him in his cage, playing with his ball, when I wasn’t looking. Just be sure it doesn’t have any sharp edges that a hedgie could cut its tongue on.
Show them you care, Support our Troops
All information on this web site is copyright of Hedgehog Valley®. You may view/print the web pages for your personal use. You may also provide a link to these pages without prior approval. No one is allowed to re-post the information from Hedgehog Valley® Web Site, including pictures, to any other web site, without the approval of Hedgehog Valley®. Copyright 2002